Wednesday, June 22, 2016

When the Stars Align

As I mentioned in my last post, I decided to revisit blogging in an attempt to chronicle some of the awesome adventures I knew we had planned for this summer.  And, so far, we've had a few adventurous weeks in a row - which means the "Best Summer on Earth" tour is going strong!

This past weekend was VERY exciting for a few reasons.

First off is a story that centers on Brittany.  I won't share all the details, as this is really Brittany's success story, but I'm so proud of her I can't keep this to myself.  After starting to jog early last fall in an effort to keep up with Henry (having never been a jogger), and completing her first 5K race later in the fall, Brittany kept on going...

We've always enjoyed swimming in the community pool as a family, and thanks to the NJ grandparents' gift of a new bike last year we started biking as a family.  These things, added to the aforementioned jogging, gave Brittany the [insane - my word] idea of entering a triathlon.  She has been training and training, getting faster and stronger and more enthusiastic about it as the weeks have gone by.  And last Saturday was the big day!  After a 1/3-mile swim in open water on our lake, a 12-mile bike ride through town, and a 5K (3.1-mile) run on a non-flat, wooded trail, she completed the race in the middle of the pack!  And Henry and I were on the sidelines thrilled to cheer her on during each stage of the race!  Here is some photo evidence of this incredible accomplishment...





The other epic part of this weekend, though far less impressive than Brittany's triathlon (if you are comparing on a cosmic scale), was the first official day of summer.  Monday was the summer solstice.  But, this year was extra special, as it was also June's full moon, which is referred to as the Strawberry Moon.  It is exceedingly rare that these two celestial events coincide - the last time it happened was the Summer of Love in 1967, and the next time will be in 2062 (the week Henry will turn 50!).  I tried to capture the incredibly clear night, but between the tree cover at our house, and the iPhone camera trying to use a flash in the dark, it doesn't quite illustrate how incredible it was to see in person, but here's a look.


Next weekend is Henry's birthday, which is sure to generate some more fun and excitement to share!  Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment