"Do you know what you are having?" This is still one of the most common questions we have been getting as people find out we're expecting, or as we run into people we haven't seen for a while. The guessing game of boy vs. girl is pretty interesting. Lots of people seem to have a strong opinion on the subject (i.e. you should find out the sex; you shouldn't find out; I wanted to be surprised; you need to plan ahead; it's definitely a girl; it's absolutely going to be a boy; etc.). Brittany and I decided at the beginning that we were going to do this the "old-fashioned" way and be surprised - probably for lots of reasons, but mostly, I think, because we are perfectly happy with whatever baby is cooking. And, everyone around us has been super supportive of that decision.
But that brings me to yesterday. We did some baby shopping (well, we didn't buy anything, but we certainly got quite an education about all of the stuff on the market) at a few big box baby stores. It was a long day, but a good day. (Long day, mostly because you can't imagine how far it is to get to these stores from where we live in the country!) And, it is one of the first times that I've felt a new excited feeling about the girl/boy question. I told Brittany as we were leaving one of the stores how excited I was for either a boy or a girl, especially now that I've seen all of the cool, fun, crazy, gimmicky things that are gender-specific out there. We definitely don't want to perpetuate too many gender stereotypes as we raise this kid, but there are a lot of really cute little girl and little boy things in these stores, and those things lead me to imagine all of the fun ahead. My feeling of it doesn't matter has turned into a list of awesome things that I can't wait for when I'm the dad of either a daughter or a son. Some of it is related the stuff we'll get, some of it is related to the stuff we'll do, but the excitement level has officially been bumped up.
And, because I have a problem and can't seem to post to this blog without talking about food, I have to share how we ended our amazing day. At the recommendation of one of our friends (and favorite food-finders), we stopped by a place called Mr. Macs that has a whole menu of different types of mac & cheese. And it was incredible - I can't wait for our next day trip to the baby stores, so we can stop for dinner at this place again!
What a wonderful surprise to see all three of you in Motherhood Maternity! So excited for you both, and for the decisions you've already made about your babe. Of course I am biased, but I am so excited to find out in June whether this baby you're cooking is a boy or a girl too! The same thing happened to us when we went into baby stores and saw all the over the top pink princess stuff or blue truck stuff - it made us so happy to hold off on too much gender stereotyping for at least a little while longer (you know, until he/she is born).
ReplyDeleteI love this blog, and am so excited to follow it throughout your baby adventure. So, so happy for you guys!! xo